Graduate student in Spanish
Graduate student in Spanish
- Department of Spanish and Portuguese
EDUCATION AND DEGREE(S)
- BA - Spanish - University of Washington
- MA - Spanish - Saint Louis University
- Hispanic linguistics, second language acquisition, mobile-assisted language learning, text messaging and L2 teaching and learning, computer-assisted language learning, educational technologies, instructional design, computer-mediated communication, pedagogical applications of messaging apps and social media, L2 pedagogy, and online and hybrid teaching.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Conference Travel Stipend, American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese (AATSP), Annual Conference 2021, Atlanta, Georgia
- Travel Support Grant, National Federation of Modern Language Teachers Associations (NFMLTA), 2021
- Student Ambassador of the Year (2019-2020), Linguistic Society of America
- Provost's Fellow (2019-2020)
- Teaching Assistant Teaching Award (Spring 2018)
- Nomination, FLAM (Foreign Language Association of Missouri) 2019 Outstanding Future Foreign Language Teacher
- Nomination, Graduate Student Association Teaching Award (Spring 2018)
- Lanham Foundation Scholarship (2004-2008)
- EST 211 - Interdisciplinary STEM Seminar - Listening & Pronunciation - Summer 2021 - University of California, Davis (Continuing and Professional Education | International) (online)
- SPA 002V - Elementary Spanish - Summer 2021 - University of California, Davis (online)
- SPA 1Y - Elementary Spanish: Spanish for Travelers - Winter 2021 & Spring 2021 - University of California, Davis (online)
- SPA 3 - (First Year Spanish, SPA 1, 2 & 3) - Fall 2020 - University of California, Davis (online)
- Communicating in Spanish I - Fall 2017 & Spring 2018 - Saint Louis University - St. Louis, MO
- Communicating in Spanish I - Fall 2015 - Saint Louis University - Madrid
- Jones, L. (2021, October 26). Trends from SITT 2021: A Five-Part Blog Series. The Wheel, UC Davis.
Part 0 of 5: Intro to blog series, 1) Going Forward: Online Teaching Strategies Applied to In-Person Classes, 2) Student Autonomy, 3) The Student Voice, 4) Flexibility, Accessibility & Support, and 5) Collaboration, Teamwork & Team Building.
- Jones, L. (2021). El impacto del SMS en la literacidad y otras implicaciones. Spanish and Portuguese Review, 6, 41-66. https://spanportreview.files.wordpress.com/2021/01/6-jones-lillian.-sms-y-literacidad.pdf
- García, C., Nickolai, D., & Jones, L. (2020). Traditional Versus ASR-Based Pronunciation Instruction: An Empirical Study. CALICO Journal, 37(3), 213-232. DOI: 10.1558/cj.40379
- Jones, L. (2020, August 28). Trends from SITT 2020: A Five-Part Blog Series. The Wheel, UC Davis.
Introduction, Part 1: Equity & Accessibility, Part 2: Community & Connection, Part 3: Video, Part 4: Multimodal/multitasking, Part 5: Breakout Rooms.
- Jones, L. (2020). Linguistic Society of America, student ambassador blog:
- Jones, L. (2020, April 9). Digital Storytelling. The Wheel, UC Davis.
- Jones, L. (2019). Three Innovative Approaches to Integrating Emoji Into Your Language Lessons. FLTMAG.com. Retrieved from https://fltmag.com/integrating-emoji-into-your-language-lessons/
- Jones, L. (2019). Review of Comunicación mediada por tecnologías: Aprendizaje y enseñanza de la lengua extranjera. Language Learning & Technology, 23(3), 47–51. https://www.lltjournal.org/item/3120
- Jones, L. (2019). Lesson Author - PodcastProject.org.
- @KDVS903fm • UC Davis Community Freeform Radio (recording available here)
Dr. Andy’s Poetry and Technology Hour • Oct. 16, 2019
Discussion: Linguistics, Second Language Acquisition & Technology
VOLUNTEERING & SERVICE
- Managing Editor for Communications, Spanish & Portuguese Review (the graduate student journal of AATSP), 2021-present
- Committee Member, CALICO Graduate Student Special Interest Group, 2021-present
- Advisory Committee Member • Summer Institute on Teaching & Technology • University of California, Davis • 2020 & 2021
- Associate Editor for Social Media, Spanish & Portuguese Review (the graduate student journal of AATSP), 2020-2021
- Co-graduate student advisor, UC Davis Spanish Club, 2020-2021
- Co-chair, Cluster on Language Research at UC Davis, 2020-2021
- Student Ambassador for the Linguistic Society of America at UC Davis, 2019-present